Advanced DDS Blog
December 18, 2014
The holidays are a special time for family, friends, cheer, giving back, and food. We are surrounded by desserts and so many other delicious treats from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day. During the rush of family gatherings and office parties, we sometimes forget to keep our oral health in mind when consuming holiday foods. Keep your smile feeling merry and bright by following these holiday tips this season:
- Watch out for candy canes– Hard candy is tasty and readily available at the holidays, but it can crack your teeth. Letting hard candies dissolve in your mouth can help prevent chipping, but be sure to brush thoroughly after eating candy to remove the sugar left on your teeth.
- Avoid soda– Holiday office parties and family gatherings are overflowing with soda. This sugary substance is never good for your teeth and should be avoided if possible. If you drink soda, use a straw to keep most of the acid from directly contacting your teeth.
- Consider your wine choice– Do you enjoy red wine? Be mindful of how red wine can stain your teeth. White wine is a better alternative for a white smile. Be sure to rinse after drinking red wine to help prevent staining.
- Stock up on veggies–Skip the trays of cookies and cakes and fill your plate with veggies instead. Broccoli and carrots are loaded with Vitamin A which strengthens your tooth enamel.
- Snack on cheese– Choose cheese to snack on if you’re drinking alcoholic beverages at holiday parties. The pH balancing in cheese helps neutralize the acid that’s in these cocktails. Also, the calcium in cheese is great for developing stronger teeth.
- Load up on fruit –Instead of piling on sugary desserts, fill up on fruit instead. Are you hosting a big dinner party? Rather than baking a number of cakes and pies, try sticking to one sweet dessert and a big fruit plate to satisfy any sweet tooth. Make sure to include strawberries since they have been found to whiten teeth.
- Do without the grazing –At the holidays, we often have spreads of food left out at all times. Grazing all day can put your teeth at greater risk for tooth decay. Put out food at mealtimes and then refrigerate the leftover food afterwards.
- Use a nutcracker – Nuts are a quick holiday snack laid out during the holiday season. Instead of using your teeth to crack the nuts, use a nutcracker to avoid damage. The hard surface of most nutshells can cause serious tooth and gum damage, and may even crack your teeth.
Keep these helpful holiday tips in mind this season. Our warmest wishes go out to all of our readers in hopes that they have a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season. We can’t wait to see you and your beautiful smile this upcoming year!
December 15, 2014
As 2014 comes to a close and the new year around the corner, we suggest that you take a moment and pause. Pause to celebrate, to reflect, and to see what you can learn from this past year. Many of us find little time to reflect on our lives. After a busy and tiring day at work, all we look forward to is reading a good book, sleeping, watching television, or surfing the internet. But take a few minutes before the end of the year and make a list of all of the accomplishments that you have experienced. Then celebrate them. Afterwards, think about how can you achieve more in the coming year?
This past Friday, our team attended our end-of-the-year party. As we sat next to one another, we reflected on the accomplishments that we achieved individually and together. We found that none of what we accomplished would have been possible if it weren’t for our team and our patients.
Dentistry is more than just improving people’s oral health. After reflecting on some of our patient’s incredible stories, we are reminded why we have entered the dental field. It is to help change someone’s life and help people regain their health, their confidence, their smile and, their lives…
Dr. Brian Raskin and his team would like to thank all our patients for trusting us with their dental needs. Because of our patients we’ve been honored with the 2013 Angie’s List Super Service Award and Accreditation by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. All our accomplishments would not have been achieved without your continued support and confidence in us.
We promise all our patients to continue improving our office and to providing you and your family with the highest quality of care for the continuing years.
Happy Holidays and a Happy New Years to all!
December 11, 2014
It’s the most wonderful time of the year – mistletoe, presents, bright lights, family, hot chocolate, and fresh snowfalls. With the holiday season in full-swing, we urge you to give back to our community.
Advanced DDS is a proud continued sponsor of Island Harvest – the largest hunger relief organization right here on Long Island. As a local Garden City dentist, we feel it is important to give back to our local community. Over the years, we have held several food drives and donated money to this remarkable organization. Please help Island Harvest’s mission to end hunger and reduce food waste on Long Island. Volunteers and staff deliver millions of pounds of food, which might otherwise go to waste, to a network of 570 Long Island-based food pantries, soup kitchens and other non-profit organizations.
Did you know?
- An estimated 88% of client households on Long Island are food insecure
- 8,700 households are in need of food support weekly on Long Island
- Island Harvest serves 28,900 clients in need each week
- 54% of client households have incomes that fall at or below the federal poverty level
You can get involved with Island Harvest by donating money, food, or volunteering your time. ‘Tis the season for giving and let’s work together to build a better future for our community.
Funds can be given as a general gift, a legacy gift, a monthly donation, or a holiday gift. Contributors can make online donations, establish grants, give the gift of stock, or mail a check to Island Harvest. To learn more about how to contribute funds, CLICK HERE.
To donate food, you can host a food drive, sponsor a truckload, or give a large donation of food. Island Harvest practices food safety and assures donors there is no liability when donating goods. To learn more about how to donate food, CLICK HERE.
Volunteers pick up donated food from a commercial food donor and deliver it to an assigned Island Harvest agency. This position requires a car, a small commitment, and some lifting. To sign up and volunteer, CLICK HERE.
Island Harvest Locations:
|Main Office||Hauppauge Center||Uniondale Warehouse|
|199 Second Street||40 Marcus Blvd.||875 Jerusalem Avenue|
|Mineola, NY 11501||Hauppauge, NY 11788||Uniondale, NY 11553|
|(516) 294-8528||(631) 873-4775||(516) 805-4782|
Do you fear going to the dentist? Have you had a previous traumatic dental experience? IV sedation is the answer to all your dental phobia. IV sedation dentistry allows our patients to peacefully drift into a relaxed state with little to no pain or memory of their dental procedure. At Advanced DDS, we have three professionally licensed doctors, Dr. Brian Raskin, Dr. Pat D’Orlando, and Dr. Tony Thomas, certified to perform conscious IV Sedation.
Sedation can be given orally or through an IV. At Advanced DDS, we provide our patients with the highest quality of care and this is why we only perform conscious IV Sedation.
Why IV Sedation Dentistry is better than Oral Sedation:
- Easier. IV sedation does not require any pre-medication before dentist procedures, but oral sedation does.
- Faster. IV sedation is administered directly into the bloodstream and immediately takes effect and wears off faster (less drowsy).
- Safer. Our team can monitor the amount of medication your body receives.
Call us today at 516-825-1100 to reserve your dental care appointment. Click here for more information on IV Sedation Dentistry.
Patient Comfort – one more reason why our premier dental practice makes the difference in your dental care.
December 3, 2014
Have you used up all your dental benefits? Are you aware that this amount will be lost and not carried over to the following year, if not taken advantage of during the current year?
1. Have you made use of your biannual hygiene appointment?
Most insurance companies provide 2 standard dental exams and 2 hygiene appointments every year. These biannual preventive care appointments are extremely important because it can help prevent costly treatment later if left undiagnosed or untreated.
2. Do you know what your yearly maximum allowance is for dental treatment?
This amount will vary by insurance companies and the insurance plan. On average the yearly maximum is renewed every calendar year. If your dental benefits are not used up, you will lose them because they will not rollover to the next year.
3. Do you know your dental problems may worsen?
Putting off dental appointments and procedures will cost you more in the long run and it may cause future health risk. Gum disease has been linked to other illnesses including heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, osteoporosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Don’t wait any longer call Advanced DDS today at 516-825-1100 to reserve your dental appointment before your dental benefits expire.
November 25, 2014
Advanced DDS has many things to be thankful for this year. One foremost thing we are thankful for is our team and our patients. As we celebrate our one year anniversary at our Garden City location, we reflect on the new memories that have been created.
Dentistry is more than maintaining a good oral health, but for us, it’s about giving our patients a life-long smile. From implant restorations to simply brightening their smile with whitening treatment, we are here to help our patients with all their oral health needs. We are thankful for the trust and support our team and patients have given us. We promise to continue to provide our patients with the highest quality of care.
We would like help easy your thanksgiving preparations this year with a simple appetizer for your family and friends.
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 15 Minutes; Ready In: 30 minutes
Makes 12 deviled egg halves – Recipe by SHORECOOK
– 6 eggs
– 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
– 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
– 1 teaspoon hot mustard
– 1 teaspoon white sugar
– salt and pepper to taste
– paprika for garnish (optional)
– 6 pimento-stuffed green olives, cut in half
- Place the eggs into a saucepan in a single layer and fill with water to cover the eggs by 1 inch. Cover the saucepan and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and let the eggs stand in the hot water for 15 minutes. Drain. Cool the eggs under cold running water. Peel once cold. Halve the eggs lengthwise and scoop the yolks into a bowl. Mash the yolks with a fork.
- Stir the mayonnaise, spicy brown mustard, hot mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper into the yolks until well combined. Spoon into a quart-size, resealable plastic bag. Snip a corner off the plastic bag.
- Squeeze the yolk mixture into the egg halves, sprinkle each stuffed egg with paprika, and top with an olive half.
Are you always looking for the next best thing? Is the new iPhone 6 or the 4K TV on your holiday list this year? Why do you want these items, is it for the speed, convenience, higher accuracy, or higher resolution?
At Advanced DDS we understand the importance of staying up-to-date on the latest technology. It is for the speed, convenience, higher accuracy, and higher resolution. Many people can relate to the fact that it seems like there isn’t enough time in a day to do the things we want. Take a second and think how the continuous improvement of digital technology has allowed us to do more in less time.
Your time is valuable and this is why we built our vision around our patient’s convenience. We are constantly investing back to our patients, with the safest, fastest, and the most accurate digital technology possible. From our decision to relocate to Garden City to our latest 3D impression scanner, that eliminates the old uncomfortable messy impression material, our focus is on providing our patients the highest and safest quality of care.
WHY WE ARE THE RIGHT DENTIST FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
- Conveniently located across from Garden City’s favorite shopping center – Roosevelt Field Mall. We are easily accessible from any location in Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk.
- Convenient office hours are available to better accommodate our patient’s schedule. We are open 6 days a week with evening hours available. Click here for office hours.
- With our patient’s safety in mind all treatment rooms are filtered through our state-of-the-art VistaClear Water Filtration System. Our office is one of only a few in New York State with the world’s first low dose 3D CBCT Scanner, reducing radiation by 60%. Our dental instruments are closely monitored, in our sterilization center, by our team.
- 90% Digital allows us to provide our patients with the greatest level of accuracy for their dental treatment while reducing the length and number of their appointments.
- Serving lower New York for over 30 years, Advanced DDS is committed to giving back to our patients and our nearby communities.
Advanced DDS is your Garden City Dentist providing you and your loved one dentistry beyond your expectations.
November 4, 2014
Imagine McDonald’s being rated the best restaurant in New York. What if the critics rated restaurants with a 5 star strictly based on the lowest cost, with no genuine quality assessment involved. Currently, Cigna insurance has created a rating system for dental practices with the same concept.
Their rating system deceives people shopping for dentist by steering them to the lowest cost providers, with absolutely no genuine quality assessment involved.
New York State Defenders Association (NYSTDA) is seeking legislative remedy to Cigna’s phony rating system. The NYSTDA has taken this campaign to the American Dental Association (ADA).
We urge everyone to be aware of Cigna insurance’s phony rating systems that may affect the quality of care from your oral health care providers.
September 23, 2014
During the first 24 hours after your oral surgery, it is important to know the DO’S and DON’TS in your normal routine. At Advanced DDS, we pride ourselves in providing our patients with the proper knowledge of what is to be expected before and after their oral surgery. Each patient is given verbal and written instructions for the proper homecare guidelines. However, just in case you forgot or have misplaced your instructions for what to do after your oral surgery here it is:
DON’TS AFTER YOUR ORAL SURGERY
- Don’t spit, and don’t suck on candies or through a straw
- Don’t rinse your mouth, and don’t brush or floss next to the site
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco for at least 72 hours because it slows healing
- Don’t drink hot, carbonated, or alcoholic drinks, and avoid hot or spicy foods
- Limit yourself to calm activities and elevate your head with pillows when you lie down since this will reduce bleeding
DO’S AFTER YOUR ORAL SURGERY
- Use an ice bag over the area for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off to keep the swelling down
- Drink a lot of fluids and eat only soft nutritious foods on the opposite side of the site once the numbness has worn off completely
- You can take pain medication after the anesthetic has worn off or as recommended by the dentist to help control any discomfort
TRY THIS RECIPE FOR YOUR LUNCH/DINNER AFTER YOUR ORAL SURGERY
Ratatouille Soup Recipe by Kelsey Nixon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- Kosher salt & cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heath. Add the garlic and onions and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, yellow squash and zucchini, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 more minutes. Stir in the basil and cook 1 more minute. Stir in the tomatoes (with their juices) and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
Remove from the heat and cool in refrigerator. Garnish with chopped basil.
WHEN TO CALL YOUR DENTIST
Remember it is normal to experience some discomfort for several days after your oral surgery, but call your dentist right away if you experience the following conditions:
- Heavy or increased bleeding
- Pain or swelling that increases or continues beyond two or three days
- A bad taste or odor in your mouth
- A reaction to the medication
Talk, laugh, sing, and eat with confidence again.
The 3M Denture Attachment System is a revolutionary denture technology that works with your current dentures. They snap out, snap in, and stay put with absolutely no messy pastes or adhesives.
Benefits of the 3M Denture Attachment System:
- Bite into an apple and eat steak again
- Use your current dentures (in most cases)
- No major surgery or long recovery
- A fraction of the cost for more invasive options
How does the 3M Denture Attachment System work?
Only a certified dentist will be allowed to perform this procedure in which miniature post are placed along your gum line. These posts will then snap into small O-ring receptacles locking onto the posts. These mini dental implants (MDI) system secures your dentures firmly in place while also allowing them to be snapped out and in again.
What is the procedure like?
The procedure is usually completed in a single appointment lasting just over an hour. You may feel some discomfort for the first 48 hours, which is typically treated with ibuprofen or other over the counter medications. Unlike more invasive options, this won’t require months of painful recovery.
Will the MDI system work for me?
This revolutionary system is ideal for many denture patients. Some patients may not have the proper bone structure. Your certified dentist will determine whether or not you are a candidate. This system is a great option for patients:
– With full upper, full lower or partial dentures
– Intimidated by the cost and long recovery time of full-size implants
– Without enough bone to allow for full-size implants
Schedule a free consultation today at 516-825-1100 for a free consultation. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have and discuss the benefits with you.