Advanced DDS Blog
February 26, 2015
Are you trying to improve your lifestyle by changing your diet, juicing, and working out? But do you know how healthy your new routine really is? For example, some juicers may cause more harm than good for your teeth if it contains high acidity levels and is full of sugar.
Here are 5 simple tips you can use to make juicing healthy:
- The majority of your juice should come from green veggies. Use leafy greens such as kale and collards which are rich in calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. These are important nutrients for strong bones and teeth.
- Use fruits sparingly. For example, use half of an apple or only a handful of berries. Also, be sure to always use ripe fruits as they have less acid than unripe fruits.
- Add Wheatgrass. Also known as the “liquid sunshine”, wheatgrass is a superfood that contains an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It also contains a high chlorophyll content, which is highly energizing.
- Don’t forget to add fresh cranberries. Fresh cranberries and unsweetened cranberry juice contain compounds that help stop cavity-causing bacteria from sticking to your teeth.
- Use a straw. Drinking your juice with a straw will limit the contact of sugars and acid with your teeth.
We need your help!
Advanced DDS would like to show our appreciation for the continued support and praises from our patients and community by sponsoring a free event. Please fill out the community event survey that will allow us to provide you and the community an event that meets your interest.
February 9, 2015
Do you want a whiter smile? Are you considering buying an over-the-counter product or getting a professional teeth whitening? You should visit your dentist before starting any whitening treatments. Your dentist will advise you what whitening treatment will work best for you and what you may need done before you can whiten your teeth. At Advanced DDS, we offer various professional in-office teeth whitening treatments.
Professional Teeth Whitening Treatment
Patient comfort is important to the team at Advanced DDS. Our technology allows patients to whiten their teeth with less sensitivity. Our whitening treatment has adjustable intensity settings to help maximize patient comfort. In fact, 99% of patients experienced little to no sensitivity during and after their whitening treatment. Our whitening treatment is so gentle that patients have low abrasion, low dehydration, and low sensitivity. Getting whitening treatments in-office allows you access to our top technologies and trained staff during your whitening process to lessen your sensitivity.
What kind of results should you expect?
Results vary from person to person and treatment to treatment. Professional whitening treatment is fast and easy, unlike over-the-counter options that may take months before you see any progress or results.
How long will your whitening results last?
Your results are all dependent on your genetics and habits. Drinking or eating staining beverages or food and smoking can limit your results. It is very important to avoid any food or beverage with color until 48 hours after your whitening treatment. Brushing with a whitening toothbrush and toothpaste can help maintain your results.
What are the possible side effects?
The most common side effect is tooth and gum sensitivity. Ask our dentists to confirm that you are a good candidate for whitening. Getting a professional whitening treatment ensures that you are using the right concentration of whitening formula to help prevent side effects.
Call Advanced DDS today at 516-825-1100 to schedule your professional teeth whitening treatment.
February 5, 2015
Over 93% of children understand the importance of going to school to learn, to be well educated, to further professional ambitions, and to prepare for a better future. As a parent, you can give them the vigor they need to power through the day with a healthy school lunch. A healthy lunch will give your child the nutrition and energy they need to do well in school. Use these helpful tips to give your child the healthy energy-filled lunch they need.
Offer nutrient-dense foods. Nutrient-dense foods help your child feel fuller for a longer period of time. In order to meet the recommended daily amounts of protein, iron, calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin C, provide a wide selection of foods for your child. Foods such as lean protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables will provide your child with the nutrients they need to feel energized throughout the day.
Limit fat intake. Saturated fats can lead to obesity and clogged arteries. The American Heart Association recommends children get no more than 25-35% of their calories from fat. Your child can receive healthy fat calories from fish, nuts, and olives.
Let your child choose some of their food. Giving your child the freedom to make food choices for their lunch will help them enjoy lunch more. Eating meals regularly will keep energy levels up during school and make your child less likely to reach for unhealthy snacks to fill hunger gaps.
Make small changes. Switch from white bread to whole grain bread and change from full-fat dairy products to fat-free dairy products. Small changes like this make a positive difference in your child’s diet. Your child may not even notice a change in texture or flavor. Many of your child’s favorite foods, such as chicken nuggets, pizza, and macaroni and cheese, can be made with healthier ingredients.
Remember, beverages count too. Giving your child a healthy lunch and then packing a sugar-filled, high-calorie drink negates your efforts. Calories from high-sugar beverages quickly add up. Water is always the best option for a healthy drink at lunch. Fat-free milk and real fruit juice in moderation is another healthy alternative to sugary beverages.
A healthier lunch means a healthier mouth. Your child will decrease their chances of tooth decay and cavities by eating a well-balanced nutritional meal. Don’t forget to schedule your child’s regular dental care appointments. Call Advanced DDS today at 516-825-1100 to schedule your child’s appointment.
February 4, 2015
Teaching your child on how to brush their teeth should be fun. At Advanced DDS, your premier Garden City dentist, we feel it is essential for your child to develop good oral care early in their life. Good oral care starts with encouraging your child to brush twice a day and floss daily. Here are some tips to making brushing fun for your child:
Let your child pick their own toothbrush and toothpaste. Does your child have a favorite color or cartoon character? Letting your child pick a toothbrush and toothpaste that is attractive to them will encourage them to use it more often.
Play music while your child brushes their teeth. Using music is a great way to motivate kids to brush their teeth. Children should brush their teeth for two minutes twice a day. Play your child’s favorite song and tell them to keep brushing until the song is over.
Brush your teeth with your child. Children learn best by example and like to copy what their parents are doing. Brushing with them will encourage them to brush their teeth the proper way.
Make brushing and flossing part of the daily routine. Come up with a morning and bedtime routine for your child and stick with it. Your evening routine could consist of a bath, pajamas, flossing, brushing, and a bed time story. Your child will soon realize cleaning their teeth is part of a normal routine.
Play a game with your child while they are brushing. An interactive game is another great way to keep your kids committed to brushing their teeth. Play eye spy, tic tac toe, or another child favorite to connect fun with brushing teeth.
Watch this video. Click here to watch an interactive video that will let your child explore the proper way to brush and how to keep the “nasties” away.
Call Advanced DDS at 516-825-1100.
Advanced DDS –Garden City Dentist
Did you know there are more benefits to straight teeth than just a pretty smile? Invisalign is renowned for allowing comfort and convenience while straightening your teeth using custom aligners. However, many people do not know all of the benefits Invisalign offers. While straightening your teeth, Invisalign also favorably impacts your overall dental health. You may be surprised to know that the benefits of using Invisalign extend beyond a confident straight smile.
- Healthier Teeth and Gums. Swollen red gums can often be the result of having teeth that are crowded or too widely spaced. When teeth are properly aligned, it helps the gums fit more securely around the teeth, allowing for the strongest and healthiest defense against potential problems. The comfortable and clear aligners gently and gradually begin to move your teeth into the proper position without unsightly brackets and wires.
- Easier Cleaning. One of the biggest challenges of having braces is removing all the food that gets trapped in the brackets and wires. This can often lead to plaque buildup and eventually tooth decay. With Invisalign, the aligners are removable, so it’s easy to continue brushing and flossing your teeth the way you normally do.
- Overall Health. Tooth decay and gum disease are caused by bacteria. Left untreated, they can cause mouth sores, tender or bleeding gums, bad breath, and possible tooth loss. Invisalign aligners make daily oral hygiene easier, thus reducing the risk of possible problems. Correctly aligned teeth can also alleviate issues caused by an improper bite, speech or chewing difficulties, jaw problems, and increased wear on the tooth enamel. Invisalign effectively addresses all of these issues, so you’ll have the confidence of a great smile and increase the likelihood of improved oral health.
January 14, 2015
With the new year comes New Year’s Resolutions. Some people vow to spend more time at the gym and trim a few pounds. Others promise to start a new activity or hobby. Whatever your New Year’s Resolution may be, staying motivated is key to meeting your goal. When you find yourself struggling to uphold your resolution, remember this story for motivation in your search for success.
Socrates Secret to Success:
A young man asked Socrates the secret to success. Socrates told the young man to meet him near the river the next morning. They met, and Socrates asked the young man to walk with him towards the river. Just as the water got up to their necks, Socrates took the young man by surprise and dunked him into the water. The boy struggled to get out but Socrates was strong and kept him there until the boy started turning blue. Socrates pulled his head out of the water and the first thing the young man did was gasp and take a deep breath of air. Socrates asked, “What did you want the most when you were under water?” The boy replied, “Air.” Socrates said, “That is the secret to success. When you want success as badly as you wanted air, then you will get it.” There is no other secret.
A burning desire is key to achieving any goal or resolution you choose to chase. Stay motivated and focused on your goals and you will achieve them. At Advanced DDS, we wish you luck as you pursue your resolutions in 2015!
January 8, 2015
Have you ever considered a dancing or skiing workout? With workouts such as these, exercising in 2015 can be an easier transition for you. Changing your whole diet or diving into an intense workout program can seem overwhelming. At Advanced DDS, we understand why health is important and encourage you to take on the New Year with a few simple diet and exercise suggestions. By only making slight changes to your everyday life, you can stay motivated and achieve your fitness goals. Here are five quick tips to a healthier you:
- Exercise often. Discover an exercise or physical activity you enjoy and stick with it for 30 minutes every other day. If you enjoy dancing, sign-up for a salsa or Zumba class. Maybe go for a run in the neighborhood, play indoor tennis with friends, try in-line skating, or choose a new ab workout. If you pick an exercise you enjoy, you increase your chances of continuing to workout.
- Control your calorie intake. Make small changes in your diet to lessen your calorie intake. Substitute skim milk for creamer in your coffee. Replace a daily soda with a glass of water. These small changes can make a big difference in your diet and save you over 1,000 calories per week.
- Make Healthier Choices. Simple food additions can help you have a well-balanced diet. Start by adding a piece of fruit to breakfast each day. Then add a veggie for dinner each night. You should also keep portion control in mind when choosing food items. Using smaller bowls and plates helps prevent you from over serving.
- Develop a weight-loss plan. Writing up a plan will make it easier to stick to your goals for a healthier you. Create a calendar to list the meals you plan to eat and the exercises you want to do each day.
- Get support from family and friends. Share your health goals with family to help you stay motivated. Ask a friend to be your fitness buddy to try a new exercise or cook a healthy recipe you would like to try. Getting your loved ones’ support will help you stay on track to reach your goals.
December 22, 2014
The holiday season may come with plenty of stress and anxiety however; this is the season when you get to spend quality time with your family. Do something memorable with your family this holiday. As Princess Diana had once said, “Family is the most important thing in the world.”
5 Family Fun Holiday Activities:
- Make a fun snack together. The holidays would not be complete without your favorite snacks! Baking and decorating cookies is a great way to spend time with your family. It’s a perfect time to inspire your child to use their creativity. Click here to view some decorating ideas.
- Watch your favorite winter movie. Make some hot chocolate, grab a few blankets, fluff up some pillows and snuggle on the couch with your family while watching your favorite winter or holiday movie.
- Spreading joy together. Take your family to a local non-profit organization and give back to your community together. Teach your children the joy of helping others by volunteering for a cause. Advanced DDS is a proud continued sponsor of Island Harvest –the largest hunger relief organization right here on Long Island. Click here to learn how to help end hunger in our community.
- Make a trip to the New York Botanical Gardens. Your children will love to visit the gardens to experience the Holiday Train Show. Enchanting model trains zip past popular landmarks under the twinkling glow of the magical conservatory. Click here to read more about the event.
- Make creative crafts. Arts and crafts are a great way to get in touch with your child’s creative side. Make a new craft each year to see how much your family has grown. Click here to view some easy craft ideas.
We would like to wish you and your family a healthy and happy holiday. We look forward to seeing you and your loved ones in 2015!
December 18, 2014
The holidays are a special time for family, friends, cheer, giving back, and food. We are surrounded by desserts and so many other delicious treats from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day. During the rush of family gatherings and office parties, we sometimes forget to keep our oral health in mind when consuming holiday foods. Keep your smile feeling merry and bright by following these holiday tips this season:
- Watch out for candy canes– Hard candy is tasty and readily available at the holidays, but it can crack your teeth. Letting hard candies dissolve in your mouth can help prevent chipping, but be sure to brush thoroughly after eating candy to remove the sugar left on your teeth.
- Avoid soda– Holiday office parties and family gatherings are overflowing with soda. This sugary substance is never good for your teeth and should be avoided if possible. If you drink soda, use a straw to keep most of the acid from directly contacting your teeth.
- Consider your wine choice– Do you enjoy red wine? Be mindful of how red wine can stain your teeth. White wine is a better alternative for a white smile. Be sure to rinse after drinking red wine to help prevent staining.
- Stock up on veggies–Skip the trays of cookies and cakes and fill your plate with veggies instead. Broccoli and carrots are loaded with Vitamin A which strengthens your tooth enamel.
- Snack on cheese– Choose cheese to snack on if you’re drinking alcoholic beverages at holiday parties. The pH balancing in cheese helps neutralize the acid that’s in these cocktails. Also, the calcium in cheese is great for developing stronger teeth.
- Load up on fruit –Instead of piling on sugary desserts, fill up on fruit instead. Are you hosting a big dinner party? Rather than baking a number of cakes and pies, try sticking to one sweet dessert and a big fruit plate to satisfy any sweet tooth. Make sure to include strawberries since they have been found to whiten teeth.
- Do without the grazing –At the holidays, we often have spreads of food left out at all times. Grazing all day can put your teeth at greater risk for tooth decay. Put out food at mealtimes and then refrigerate the leftover food afterwards.
- Use a nutcracker – Nuts are a quick holiday snack laid out during the holiday season. Instead of using your teeth to crack the nuts, use a nutcracker to avoid damage. The hard surface of most nutshells can cause serious tooth and gum damage, and may even crack your teeth.
Keep these helpful holiday tips in mind this season. Our warmest wishes go out to all of our readers in hopes that they have a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season. We can’t wait to see you and your beautiful smile this upcoming year!